Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Embodiment

I'm reading, reading, reading. Hoping that the reading, reading, reading is going to elicit a literature review. A literature review of what? I'm still not sure. I have written about using the review as an opportunity to investigate the writers who have impacted Maxine Greene as a means towards defining key concepts/words/ideas. I liked that idea but somehow it seemed overwhelming to me. Readers and students often respond to Greene as being extraordinarily well-read, extremely literate. And as readers and students we often feel incapable of matching such an well-read, literate mind.

Another idea is to review what others have written about Greene in an effort to get a glimpse from elsewhere as the origins and meanings behind my search of the "lived life" in Greene's works. Naturally, I am having difficulty finding anything that touches on the phrase either within Greene's canon and elsewhere in philosophy, literature, education.

But I did come across some essays that explore Merleau-Ponty's le corps vecu in Baldacchino's "Education Beyond Education." The lived body or "embodiment" was the existentialist reconciliation of the mind/body split. It promotes an active stance towards philosophy and knowledge and helps us to understand Greene's promotion of doing philosophy.

In thinking about this, I was reminded of my own corps vecu training in acting. Training at the Experimental Theatre Wing at NYU, I encountered a number of physical approaches to creating and doing theatre. Jerzy Grotowski was a god on the 2nd floor of 721 Broadway. Grotowski wrote:

"The rhythm of life in modern civilization is characterized by pace, tension, a feeling of doom, the wish to hide our personal motives and the assumption of a variety of roles and masks in life (different ones with our family, at work, amongst friends or in community life, etc.-). We like to be 'scientific', by which we mean discursive and cerebral, since this attitude is dictated by the course of civilization. But we also want to pay tribute to our biological selves, to what we might call physiological pleasures. We do not want to be restricted in this sphere. Therefore we play a double game of intellect and instinct, thought and emotion; we try to divide ourselves artificially into body and soul. When we try to liberate ourselves from it all we start to shout and stamp, we convulse to the rhythm of music. In our search for liberation we reach biological chaos. We suffer most from a lack of totality, throwing ourselves away, squandering ourselves."

There was a great deal of shouting and stamping in those ETW studios. As actors we were embodying the text, the action, the story. Nancy Lesko in "Feeling the Teacher" writes about her own embodiment of Greene's teachings as a result of her sabbatical sojourn to Teachers College in 1996. As a yoga devotee, Lesko felt a lightness in her step and a realignment of her body every Monday evening as she exited the lecture space in Main Hall to return to her student family housing in Morningside Heights.

The lived life versus the lived body? I'm sure where this may be taking me but le corps vecu is very attractive to me as an Odin Theatre/Grotowski trained/Bogart influenced actor.

The journey continues...

2 comments:

  1. At one point I think Greene identified herself as a kind of existential-phenomenologist? (Perhaps a few more qualifiers were there also?) And that seems to me to be the the difference between "the lived life" and "the lived body". The first is more the consciousness of the choices we make in constructing, deconstructing and reconstructing the experiences we call "life". The "lived body" (to me) means more of an ontological grasp of the perceptions of the entire living organism. So, in a way, it's prerequisite to "the lived life".

    On balance, I think Greene is more of an existentialist than a phenomenologist. Although, I think her actual preference is to explore the overlap.... but to do this....she has to be who she is.... "who" her lived life has been.... And this I think tilts things slightly toward the existential side? That would be my reading....

    Good stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES, she does indeed use the e-p appellation over and over again. Part of her bent towards the extensialism is, I believe, the notions of freedom. I haven't looked into it very deeply yet but that's my reckoning for right now.

    However, in looking at "Being and Nothingness" the other day, Sartre continues a dualism with ideas of "being-for-itself" and "being-for-others." And this makes me sad because I, Shawn, want unity. This may be an outcome of my lived life as a performer.

    And it's part of the reason why I have found myself linking arms with the word, "embodiment." Wide-awakeness is an acute conciousness that is bodily in my experience (perhaps rooted in the singing with your sphincters training).

    I feel another post coming on...

    ReplyDelete