Wednesday, December 1, 2010

How do I summarize?

I have an opportunity in the next week to teach a session of undergrad students enrolled in a historical and philosophical perspectives of education course. It will serve as a demonstration of my teaching abilities for a search committee looking to hire a new faculty member. I will, of course, devote the session to Maxine Greene.

In doing my prep I found myself running in circles. Not twisting in productive spirals, but re-meeting myself every 360 degrees in repetitive loops. Why? WHY?? The "why" is waged in a quandary with "how do I summarize Maxine Greene's philosophy?"

Well, there is the "doing philosophy" which I find to be incredibly helpful, especially for newbies encountering philo-speak for the first time.

There's Maxine's particular take on aesthetics and how it differs from the more pragmatic approach of Dewey.

There's the sheer difficulty of life with its exclusionary impulses that shapes her approach to phenomenology and the ideals of social justice.

There's the "without answers" quality of the arts which provide timeless questions for both students and teachers to ponder.

There's the wonder of a 93-year old, female Jewish intellectual living across East 89th Street from the Guggenheim Museum who has stated that "Consciousness doesn't come automatically; it comes through being alive, awake, curious, and often furious."

And there's the value and richness of the "lived life."

It comes down to doing and being. Not an easy conceit for most college juniors especially within a 45-minute span. But the doing part is incredibly important and accessible. The being aspect can be a prompt or challenge at the conclusion to take a later moment to reflect.

Be present. Engage. Find questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment